Saarenald T. S. Yaawaisan
Toy Tow TruckLate 20th century
Recycled materials including flip flops and wood
7.48 x 7.087 x 17.717 in. (19 x 18 x 45 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.40
Geography: Africa, Liberia, Monrovia
Classification: Toys and Games; Toys
Culture/Nationality: African, Liberian
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- adaptive reuse - The conversion of outmoded or unused things, often things having historic value, to new uses or application in new contexts. Examples include reuse of buildings, objects, software, etc.
- recycling - Recovery and reuse of materials and energy from waste.
- sandals - Shoes consisting essentially of a sole fastened to the foot by straps, strips, or cords.
- toys - Material objects contrived for amusement rather than for practical use by children or pets, or intended as collectibles by adults. Toys are generally miniature versions of real beings or objects that lend themselves to imaginative or imitative play. Toys may also be items for use in games. Among the earliest toys were dolls and balls.
- vehicles - Refers broadly to devices or contrivances by which people, animals, or objects are conveyed or carried.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Suzanne Seriff, "Recycled Re-Seen: Folk Art from the Global Scrap Heap." African Arts 29, no. 4 (Autumn 1996): 12.
- Jane Martin, A Toymaker in Liberia (Saarenald T.S. Yaawaisan) (, 2001),
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BOSQN".View current selection of records as: