Aizu-Nuri Lacquer Box
7 3/4 in. x 6 3/4 in. x 4 1/2 in. (19.69 cm x 17.15 cm x 11.43 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- boxes - Rigid, often rectangular containers usually with a lid or cover in which something nonliquid is kept or carried.
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- lacquerware - Visual works made of or decorated with lacquer, which is paint or varnish that dries with a high gloss. Works are usually made of thin wood, then coated and decorated with lacquer applied in several coats. This dries to a very hard and smooth surface layer which is durable, waterproof, and attractive to feel and look at. Works of lacquer may be painted with pictures, inlaid with shell and other materials, carved, or dusted with gold and given other further decorative treatments.
- Disasters and Rebuilding in Japan: Perspectives and Testimonies from the Tri-Co Collection Bryn Mawr, Haverford and Swarthmore Colleges , Dec 5, 2013 – Jun 1, 2014
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BRXSI".View current selection of records as: