|Showing 1 of 1||
Ceramic White Glaze PyxisQing
3 3/4 in. x 4 1/4 in. (diameter) (9.53 cm x 10.8 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: TN.2
Geography: Asia, China
Classification: Furnishings and Furniture; Household Accessories
Collection: Helen B. Chapin '15 Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Chinese - The cultures, styles, and periods characteristic of China. To specifically refer to the cultures of ancient Chine, use "Ancient Chinese."
- porcelain - A material comprising white clay, or "kaolin," and a feldspathic rock, that react when fired so the clay serves to hold the shape of the object and the rock fuses into a natural glass. In China, it includes any such ware that is highly fired enough to produce a ringing sound when struck. In Europe, it is limited to hard-fired ceramic that is translucent.
- pyxides - Relatively small, squat lidded boxlike vessels for holding cosmetics and toilet articles in ancient Greece. Generally cylindrical in shape. Often found in the graves of women and warriors.
- Qing - Refers to the the culture, style, and period associated with the reign of the Quing dynasty, dating from 1644 to 1911. Beijing remained the Chinese capital and was embellished with large scale, brightly colored buildings in brick and stone. In ceramics, contrasting styles of elaborate, opaque overglaze wares and monochrome wares were developed. In painting, an official academy was established, continuing the traditional landscape style of the Four Wangs.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSEEU" and [Object]Century is "19th century".View current selection of records as: