Proto-Corinthian Kotyle/Skyphos (Cup) Rim SherdGeometric-Archaic
ca. 725 BCE - ca. 640 BCE
1 1/2 in. x 1 1/4 in. x 3/16 in. (3.78 cm x 3.2 cm x 0.4 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.789
Geography: Europe, Greece
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Skyphoi
This object has the following keywords:
- chevrons - Simple geometric forms composed of Vs used singly, in a vertical series, or in a string to form a zigzag.
- concentric - Describes two circular or spherical figures, spaces, or objects that have a common center or axis.
- Corinthian - Refers to a pottery style created in the city and region of Corinth in the Peloponnese in south-central Greece, and exported extensively in other parts of Greece, Italy, and Egypt, particularly in the second half of the seventh century BCE and the first half of the sixth century BCE. It is characterized by large vessels and bold decoration arranged in friezes covering most of the surface. Designs are in black-figure on a light terra-cotta background, with red, white, and incised additions. Motifs may have been inspired by Eastern textiles and typically include animals, monsters, or human figures, with ornaments such as dots, leaves, or rosettes scattered over the background.
- rim sherds - Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- skyphoi - A type of drinking vessel in the shape of a deep cup, usually with two horizontal handles attached to the lip and a small integral foot. In all-black or unglossed plain wares the skyphos was the most common type of cup.
- stripes - Long, narrow bands, typically of a different color.
- vase paintings - Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
- zigzags - Lines or bands composed of a series of chevrons.
- maximum length Dimensions: 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 x 3/16 in. (3.78 x 3.2 x 0.4 cm)
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSLHF".View current selection of records as: