Incense BurnerLate 19th century
7 1/2 in. x 6 in. (diameter) (19.05 cm x 15.24 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2007.3.5.a-b
Other Number(s): Deanery.6 (Deanery Number)
Geography: Asia, Japan
Collection: Deanery Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- incense burners - A vessel or stand in or on which incense is burnt for the purpose of scenting a space, whether or not the action also has a ceremonial purpose. For containers, often in the form of a covered vase or sometimes in the form of a tripod, that hold perfumes or pastilles, use "cassolettes."
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- Satsuma - Refers generally to a variety of styles of ceramics used for tea ceremonies and every-day use, made at kiln sites in Kagoshima Prefecture (formerly the Satsuma domain) in southern Kyushu, from the early 17th century to the present. Styles range from "sharkskin" ware with a grayish, light sepia or yellowish glaze and fine granular surface to fine iron-glazed teawares in the first half of the 17th century, copies of Sawankhalok ware, a Thai ware decorated with underglazed iron-oxide painting, from ca. 1700, and overglaze enamels from the late 18th century.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Home Departure and Destination Bryn Mawr College , Oct 4, 2013 – Dec 31, 2013
- The Deanery Remembered Bryn Mawr College , May 1, 1985 – May 29, 1985
- with lid Dimensions: 7 1/2 x 6 in. (19.05 x 15.24 cm)
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
Manufacturers' Appraisal Company,
1954 Manufacturers' Appraisal.
Page Number: 52
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSOTP".View current selection of records as: