American (1871 - 1951) Primary
Etching on vellum
5 7/8 in. x 4 1/4 in. (14.92 cm x 10.8 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1962.138
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
Collection: Harrington-Bishop Collection
Description: The title suggests that Sloan favors these musicians and their music. By placing the light on the drummer, the viewers’ attention is captured, thus making him the focal point of the print. Sloan’s idea of the favorable drummer translates onto several of his works.
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- crwths - Bowed or plucked box lyres of ancient Wales, surviving into the early 19th century.
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- musicians - Those skilled or specializing in the art or practice of music, such as composers, conductors, and performers.
- stores - Buildings, either small or large, offering merchandise for retail sale.
- vellum - Paper made from high-grade rag pulp with a treated surface generally in imitation of parchment.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Illuminating John Sloan Bryn Mawr College , Apr 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
- Plate Dimensions: 5 7/8 x 4 1/4 in. (14.923 x 10.795 cm)
Owner Name: Bryn Mawr College
Acquisition Method: Donation
Ownership Start Date: 10/18/84
Owner Name: Richard E. Bishop
Disposal Method: Donated
Ownership End Date: 10/18/84
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Peter Morse, John Sloan's Prints (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1969), 69. Figure Number: 64
Related Object(s) Click a record to view
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSWCT" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Prints" and [Object]Display Artist is "John Sloan" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is ".View current selection of records as: