American (1871 - 1951) Primary
Monsieur Le Comte's Fireworks Explode1904
4 3/8 in. x 5 7/8 in. (11.11 cm x 14.92 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1962.118.a
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
Collection: Harrington-Bishop Collection
Description: Sloan creates a very dynamic light source in this print that animates its theatrical narrative. The fireworks’ explosion acts as this light source, dramatically sweeping across the top of the print, heightening the chaos and anxiety as the characters attempt to escape the flames.
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- crwths - Bowed or plucked box lyres of ancient Wales, surviving into the early 19th century.
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- men - Refers to male human beings from young adulthood through old age.
- orators - Those who deliver speeches, are skilled in eloquence and rhetorical skill, or are proficient in public speaking.
- women - Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Illuminating John Sloan Bryn Mawr College , Apr 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
- Plate Dimensions: 4 3/8 x 5 7/8 in. (11.113 x 14.923 cm)
Owner Name: Bryn Mawr College
Acquisition Method: Donation
Ownership Start Date: 10/19/84
Owner Name: Richard E. Bishop
Disposal Method: Donated
Ownership End Date: 10/19/84
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Peter Morse, John Sloan's Prints (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1969), 103. Figure Number: 99
Related Object(s) Click a record to view
Monsieur Le Comte's Fireworks Explode
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSWCT".View current selection of records as: