|Showing 1 of 1||
Imperial Roman Terracotta Pig RattleImperial (Roman)
3 x 2 9/16 x 5 3/8 in. (7.6 x 6.5 x 13.7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- ceramic - Refers to any of various hard, brittle, heat-resistant and corrosion-resistant materials made by shaping and then firing a nonmetallic mineral, such as clay, at a high temperature.
- rattles - Shaken idiophones made in a variety of forms worldwide, in which one or more objects strike against each other or against the inside or outside of another object.
- Roman - Refers broadly to the period, styles, and culture of the state centered on the city of Rome from the period from the founding of the city ca. 700 BCE through the events leading to the founding of the republic in 509 BCE, the establishment of the empire in 27 BCE, and the final eclipse of the Empire of the West in the 5th century CE. Ancient Rome became a powerful force and supplanted Greek and Etruscan influence on the Apennine peninsula. Its rule and influence gradually encompassed a wide area in Europe, northern Africa, the Middle East, and Asia Minor. Its influence was wide in scope, including sculpture, painting, architecture, engineering, language, the road system, law, and many other areas of culture. Roman art and architecture is characterized by early derivations from Greek art and architecture, but it gradually developed into a style of its own, absorbing characteristics of styles from the far flung regions under its control.
- Sus - Genus containing at least 11 living and several fossil species of intelligent, social, even-toed ungulate having a stout body, sparse bristly hair, and a broad flat snout for rooting in the soil, including wild and domestic pigs.
- Worlds to Discover: 125 Years of Collections at Bryn Mawr College Bryn Mawr College , Sep 24, 2010 – May 28, 2011
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
and Emily Croll.
Worlds to Discover.
Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 2010
Page Number: 11
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSZRE" and [Object]Country of Creation is ".View current selection of records as: