Saa Saa (Gourd Rattle)ca. 1981
Gourd, Fiber, Seeds
3.5 x 4.53 x 14.76 in. (8.89 x 11.506 x 37.49 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.106.a-b
Geography: Africa, Liberia
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Musical Instruments & Sound-making Implements
Culture/Nationality: Loma, Liberian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- gourds - The hard-shelled fruits of any of various plants of the Cucurbitaceae family.
- Liberian - Style and culture of the nation of Liberia, a West African state founded in 1822.
- rattles - Shaken idiophones made in a variety of forms worldwide, in which one or more objects strike against each other or against the inside or outside of another object.
- seed - Material comprising the seed of a plant, which is the nutrient material for development after germination that is enclosed in a protective coat. Seeds may be processed in various ways for use as materials, or they may be used whole as elements in a design.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Owner Name: Jane Martin, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Ownership Start Date: May 17, 1986
Ownership End Date: May 1, 2016
Owner Name: Abu Malik
Place: Randall Street, Monrovia, Liberia
Ownership End Date: May 17, 1986
Remarks: Monrovia is an assumption made. Randall Street and Liberia are known.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Esther A. Dagan, When Art Shares Nature's Gift: The African Calabash (Montreal, Quebec: Galerie Amrad African Arts, 1988), 127, 139. Figure Number: 130
Loma Gourd Rattle
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSZRE".View current selection of records as: