Classical Tetradrachm of KatanaClassical
ca. 410 BCE
1 x 15/16 x 3/16 in. (2.5 x 2.4 x 0.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Classical - Refers to an ancient Greek style and period that begins around 480 BCE, when the Greek city-states defeated the Persian invaders, and ends around 323 BCE, with the death of Alexander the Great. It is characterized by the rebuilding of cities after the Persian wars, the flourishing of philosophy, drama, architecture, sculpture, painting, and the other arts. In the visual arts, it is known for the mastery of the human form and sophistication of architectural design.
- Gods and Goddesses - Added June 2010 by M. Weldon
- quadrigas - Ancient war or racing chariots drawn by four horses abreast.
- silver - Pure metallic element having symbol Ag and atomic number 47; a malleable, ductile, white metal with characteristic sheen, considered a precious metal. Silver is widely distributed throughout the world, occurring rarely as metallic silver (in Peru, Norway) but more often as silver-gold alloys and silver ore. Today silver is obtained as a byproduct in the refinement of gold, lead, copper, or zinc ores. Silver was smelted from the ore galena as early as 3800 BCE. As a pure metal, silver is second to gold in malleability and ductility, can be polished to a highly reflective surface, and used -- typically in an alloy -- in jewelry, coinage, photography, mirrors, electrical contacts, and tableware.
- tetradrachms - Ancient Greek coins worth four drachmas, originally of pure silver but gradually debased over its lifetime from the mid-6th century BCE until about CE 300.
- A Treasury of Knowledge: An Exhibition of the Bryn Mawr Collection of Ancient Coins , Sep 1, 2005 – Dec 1, 2005
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Cornelius C. Vermeule, "Greek Coins in the Elizabeth Washburn King Collection at Bryn Mawr College." The Numismatic Chronicle and Journal of the Royal Numismatic Society Sixth Series 16 (1956): 24, Figure Number: Pl. IV.
The Elizabeth Washburn King Collection of Ancient Greek Coins
London, England, 12/11/1992
Page Number: 27, Figure Number: Lot. 631
Schlessinger Sale 13 (Hermitage Duplicates): Sammlung Griechischer Münzen aus Museumsbesitz
Berlin, Germany, 1935
Page Number: 13, Figure Number: Lot. 237
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BTKKB" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Italy".View current selection of records as: