AmuletEarly 20th century
Plant material, glass, shell, and textile
14 in. x 2 1/2 in. (35.56 cm x 6.35 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 99.5.80
Other Number(s): 84-42 (Neufeld Collection Number)
580/3 9 APR 1984 (Unknown Number Type)
Geography: Africa, Sudan
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Musical Instruments & Sound-making Implements
Culture/Nationality: Sudanese, North African, African
Collection: Neufeld Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- amulets - Small objects worn as protecting charms, as to ward off evil, harm, or illness, or to bring good fortune. For objects specifically cut with astrological or magical symbols, intended to protect the bearer, but not necessarily worn, use "talismans."
- beadwork - Visual works comprising designs, patterns, or other arrangements of beads, typically stringed or attached to textile supports.
- gourds - The hard-shelled fruits of any of various plants of the Cucurbitaceae family.
- North African - Styles and cultures of the African peoples living in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, and Mauritania.
- Sudanese - Style and culture of the people of the Sudan.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Owner Name: Mace Neufeld and Helen Katz Neufeld, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Ownership End Date: 7/18/1991
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0180584.
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "The British Museum Online Collection." (Accessed May 17, 2020): https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection. Accession No.: Af1954,+23.1447.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0155966.
- Paolo del Vesco, "Jewels from the Nile: The Ethnographical Collection of Winifred Blackman." RAWI 7 (2015): https://rawi-magazine.com/articles/winifred_blackman/. Figure Number: Protective Charm, No Number.
- "Cowan's: A Hindman Company." (Accessed October 29, 2020): cowanauctions.com. https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/sudanese-haladie-double-blade-daggers-3908331, Figure Number: Lot 73 on December 13, 2018.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Paolo del Vesco, "Jewels from the Nile: The Ethnographical Collection of Winifred Blackman." RAWI 7 (2015): https://rawi-magazine.com/articles/winifred_blackman/.
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BTWNM".View current selection of records as: