German (1471 - 1528) Primary
Engraved Ivory Wedding Gift for Isabella Gonzaga after the 1503 Albrecht Durer Engraving "Coat of Arms with a Skull"ca. 1594
8.75 x 6 in. (22.225 x 15.24 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- armors - Refers specifically to sets of armor pieces designed as a whole to possess particular physical characteristics, usually to suit a particular purpose. For the general meaning of all costume designed to be worn or carried to protect the body in combat, either entire sets or individual pieces, see "armor."
- coats of arms - Devices that include the full display of armorial bearings: the escutcheon plus its adjuncts (helm, crest, mantling, motto, supporters). Geometric plane figures bounded by a single curved line which is everywhere equally distant from the center of the figure.
- dentin - Material comprising the primary, bone-like structure of a tooth. Dentin is hard calcareous material, with less porosity and less organic matter than bone. It is generally covered with a protective enamel layer. Layers of dentin cover animal teeth (whale, hippopotamus, boar, etc.) and tusks (ivory, elephant, walrus, etc.).
- folklore - The body of traditional beliefs, legends, customs, music, arts, material culture, etc. that is shared by a culture or group of people.
- marriage - Legal and social unions of a man and woman as husband and wife, or of the union of a gay couple. For the act or ceremony of instituting a marriage, use "weddings (ceremonies)."
- nobility - Upper class within the aristocracy, whose titles, property, and privileges are maintained and passed on by heredity. For individual members of the nobility use "nobles (aristocrats)."
- shields - General term for armor pieces carried in the hand or on the arm, used to parry an opponent's blows or provide shelter from projectiles. They have existed worldwide throughout history in a wide variety of sizes, shapes, and materials.
- weddings - Ceremonies or rites joining a couple in matrimony, with its attendant festivities. For the state of marriage, use "marriage (social construct)."
- wings - Organs of flight of any flying animal, such as a bird, bat, or insect.In birds the wings are specially modified forelimbs; in bats (and the extinct pterodactyls, etc.), extensions of the skin attached to modified parts of the forelimbs; in insects, membranous expansions attached to the thorax in addition to the limbs.
- Plate Dimensions: 8.75 x 6 in. (22.225 x 15.24 cm)
Coat of Arms with Skull
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BTZPS".View current selection of records as: