|Showing 1 of 1||
Yoruba, Nigerian (1910 – 1970) Primary
Edan OgboniMid 20th century
1 3/4 in. x 2 9/16 in. (4.5 cm x 6.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- edan - Twinned brass images, one male, the other female, joined by a chain, usually around the neck. The edan serve as a main sculptural form of the Yoruba Ogboni secret society in Africa.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Owner Name: Bruce and Adele King, in memory of Nicole M. King, Class of 1986
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, US
Acquisition Method: Purchased in Ibadan, Nigeria from house to house traders
Ownership Start Date: 1962-1964
Ownership End Date: June 6, 2003
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0177882.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "ÌMỌ̀ DÁRA." (Accessed May 10, 2020): Imodara.com. https://www.imodara.com/discover/nigeria-yoruba-edan-ogboni-osugbo-staff/.
- L. E. Roache, "Psychophysical Attributes of the Ogboni Edan." African Arts 4, no. 2 (Winter 1971): 48-53, 80.
- Denis Williams, "The Iconology of the Yoruba "Edan Ogboni"." Africa: Journal of the International African Institute (April, 1964): 139-166.
- Babatunde Lawal, "À Yà Gbó, À Yà Tó: New Perspectives on Edan Ògbóni." African Arts 28, no. 1 (Winter 1995): 36-49, 98-100.
- Ulli Beier, Yemi Bisiri: A Yoruba Brass Caster (Ibadan, Nigeria: Mbari Publications, 1963),
- Stefan Eisenhofer, ed. Kulte, Künstler, Könige in Afrika: Tradition und Moderne in Südnigeria (Linz, Austria: des Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseums, 1977), 218-231.
- Hans Witte, Earth and the Ancestors: Ogboni Iconography (Amsterdam: Gallery Balolu, 1988),
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BUXUM" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Yoruba, Nigerian, West African, African" and [Object]Century is "20th century".View current selection of records as: