Japanese (1891 - 1980) Primary
Un arbre20th century
11 1/4 in. x 8 3/8 in. (28.58 cm x 21.27 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2010.7.6
Geography: Asia, Japan
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Woodcuts
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- still lifes - Images in which the focus is a depiction of inanimate objects, as distinguished from art in which such objects are subsidiary elements in a composition.The term is generally applied to depictions of fruit, flowers, meat or dead game, vessels, eating utensils, and other objects, including skulls, candles, and hourglasses, typically arranged on a table. Such images were known since the time of ancient Greece and Rome; however, the subject was exploited by some 16th-century Italian painters, and was highly developed in 17th-century Dutch painting, where the qualities of form, color, texture, and composition were valued, and the images were intended to relay allegorical messages. The subject is generally seen in oil paintings, though it can also be found in mosaics, watercolors, prints, collages, and photographs. The term originally included paintings in which the focus was on living animals at rest, although such depictions would now be called "animal paintings."
- trees - Woody, perennial plants usually with a single, long, self-supporting stem or trunk, and which grow to a considerable height.
- woodcuts - Prints made using the process of woodcut, which is a relief process in which the design is cut into and printed from the plank side of a wood block; distinct from "wood engraving (process)," which is a relief process using the grain end of a wood block.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- Image Dimensions: 11 1/4 x 8 3/8 in. (28.575 x 21.273 cm)
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BVAGU".View current selection of records as: