Knife-shaped CoinWarring States
403 BCE - 221 BCE
State: Possibly a reproduction
5 1/2 in. x 3/4 in. x 1/8 in. (13.97 cm x 1.91 cm x 0.32 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: TN.70
Geography: Asia, China
Classification: Exchange Media; Coins
Collection: Helen B. Chapin '15 Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- bronzes - Collectively, the class of sculptures, containers, or other objects executed in bronze, especially artifacts or works considered to be art. When possible, use the material term "bronze (metal)" plus a more specific object name, such as "bronze" + "figurines" or "bronze" + "bowl."
- Chinese - The cultures, styles, and periods characteristic of China. To specifically refer to the cultures of ancient Chine, use "Ancient Chinese."
- coins - Pieces of metal stamped by government authority for use as money.
- Warring States - Refers to the culture, style, and period of later part of the Eastern Zhou, from 403 to 221 BCE, although some scholars date the period to 475 to 221 BCE. Its name comes from chronicles of the time. A time of severe fragmentation with a subsequent economic and political decline, it was nevertheless a time of imaginative craftsmanship. This creativity was perhaps spurred on by an increase in artistic patrons as well as competition between the different states of the Zhou dynasty. The tomb of the Marquis of Zeng at Suizhou in Hubei province is a notable early Warring States site; it contained over 15,000 artifacts such as bronze ritual vessels, bells, weapons, lacquerware, and wooden and bamboo objects. Birds with curved wings and dragons were dominant decorative motifs for bronzes and ceramics, revealing contact with the cultures of the Asiatic steppes, the Huns and Tartars.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BVASV" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Warring States".View current selection of records as: