American (1871 - 1951) Primary
The Women's Page1905
4 7/8 in. x 6 3/4 in. (12.38 cm x 17.15 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1962.147.b
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
Collection: Harrington-Bishop Collection
Description: In The Women’s Page, we seem to sneak up on the woman reading the leisure section of the newspaper as she takes a break from her laundry and washboard. Soft afternoon light comes in through the window, casting the messy bedroom into shadow. A child plays with a cat on the bed in the background. Does Sloan depict a mother neglecting her child and domestic work or a hard-working woman taking a break from the domestic realm to enter the outside world?
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- bedrooms - Rooms designed for or used to contain a bed or beds for sleeping.
- boys - Refers to male human beings from birth through adolescence.
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- newspapers - Serials published at stated, frequent intervals, such as daily or weekly, and containing news, editorials, features, advertisements, and other items of current interest.
- women - Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Illuminating John Sloan Bryn Mawr College , Apr 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
- Plate Dimensions: 4 7/8 x 6 3/4 in. (12.383 x 17.145 cm)
Owner Name: Bryn Mawr College
Acquisition Method: Donation
Ownership Start Date: 10/18/84
Owner Name: Richard E. Bishop
Disposal Method: Donated
Ownership End Date: 10/18/84
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Peter Morse, John Sloan's Prints (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1969), 141. Figure Number: 132
Related Object(s) Click a record to view
The Women's Page
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "JAUI".View current selection of records as: