British (1735 - 1785) Primary
Diana and Acteon1764
40 5/16 in. x 50 13/16 in. (102.36 cm x 129.03 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- English - Refers to the culture of the modern country of England, or in general to cultures that have occupied the southern part of the island of Great Britain, usually excluding Wales. It may refer to the the culture of the Angles, one of the Teutonic peoples who settled in Britain in fifth century CE. The term is occasionally used to refer to the culture of the entire nation of the United Kingdom, although technically England is an administrative subdivision of the United Kingdom.
- engravings - Prints on paper incorporating impressions of a reverse design created on a printing plate, usually copper, into which the design has been incised (engraved) using burins or gravers. Historically, "engravings" has sometimes been incorrectly used to refer to all prints, regardless of the specific technique. For prints made from designs engraved on a flat wooden block, use "wood cuts"; for prints made from a plate that is etched rather than engraved, use "etchings."
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- landscapes - Creative works, usually two-dimensional, depicting an outdoor scene dominated by the land, hills, fields, sky, trees, fields, rivers or other bodies of water, and other natural elements. Landscapes may include a near point of view in the foreground, but also usually depict a view into the distance. Landscapes may contain architecture or figures, but the primary focus remains the land. When an ocean, sea, or other large body of water dominates the picture, use "seascapes." For actual areas of land rather than depictions, use "landscapes (environments)."
- Nymphs - Nymphs are minor goddesses usually associated with local geographic features like forests or rivers and the god Pan. Added June 2010 by M. Weldon
- religion and mythology
- Picturing Women Bryn Mawr College , Jan 23, 2004 – May 30, 2004
- Legendary Couples: Classical Mythology Prints from the College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Oct 15, 1999 – Dec 4, 1999
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "JAWS" and [Object]Country of Creation is "England".View current selection of records as: