- European noblewomen holding a duchy, or who are the wives or widows of dukes, ranking highest in the peerage.
- Refers to the culture of the southern Netherlands, roughly corresponding to modern Belgium, Luxembourg, and part of France, particularly during the historical period when Flanders was an independent principality.
- Prints made using the mezzotint process, in which the surface of the plate is methodically roughened with a rocker to produce a dark background; areas may then be lightened using various scrapers.
- Representations of real individuals that are intended to capture a known or supposed likeness, usually including the face of the person. For representations intended to be anonymous, or of fictional or mythological characters, see "figures (representations)."
- Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
Click an image to view a larger version
Dimensions: 12 x 8 9/16 in. (30.5 x 21.8 cm)
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios: