- Refers to the cultures and styles of Greece and Asia Minor that developed on islands and on mainland areas surrounding the Aegean Sea, which lies between Greece and Turkey.
- Refers to any of various hard, brittle, heat-resistant and corrosion-resistant materials made by shaping and then firing a nonmetallic mineral, such as clay, at a high temperature.
- Open bowl-shaped vessels, used chiefly for drinking, often having one handle, but sometimes two handles or none, generally on a low foot-ring; also includes similar bowl-shaped vessels, generally without handles, resting on a stem and supported by a spreading foot. Occasionally made with a lid.
- Refers to the latest phase of Minoan art and culture, according to the classification system devised by the archaeologist, Arthur Evans. It is characterized by fresco painting, reconstruction of palaces, and especially by pottery decoration painted in dark-firing slip on a pale ground, in contrast to earlier designs that were white on a dark slip ground. Designs are typically composed of more naturalistic plants and animals arranged in geometric zones or designs. It overlaps with the Neopalatial and the Postpalatial periods.
- Refers to the period and style associated with the Greek Bronze Age civilization on the island of Crete from around 3,500 BCE to around 1,050 BCE, as distinct from contemporary cultures on the Greek Mainland, known as "Helladic," and on the other islands, known as "Cycladic." Minoan art and culture spread in the Aegean region, and thus existed in locations outside Crete. It is characterized by innovations and a grand scale in city and palace design, extensive use of writing, and a distinctive sophistication in art, including elaborate seals, pottery, frescoes, and sculpture.
Click an image to view a larger version
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/165552 |title=Late Minoan IA Carinated Cup with Spout with Painted Decoration |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=6/18/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 2 of 141
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "YUBH:YUBI:BGLWX:BGLXB:BGLXF:BGLXR:BGLXX:BGMSZ" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Greece".