- Kingdom containing multicellular organisms having cells bound by a plasma membrane and organized into tissue and specialized tissue systems that permit them to either move about in search of food or to draw food toward themselves. Unable to make their own food within themselves, as photosynthetic plants do, they rely on consuming preformed food. They possess a nervous system with sensory and motor nerves, enabling them to receive environmental stimuli and to respond with specialized movements.
- Naturally occurring sediments that are produced by chemical actions resulting during the weathering of rocks. It is often the term applied to all earths that form a paste with water and harden when heated.
Late Intermediate Period
- The sixth of the seven main chronological phases recognized in Andean archaeology, generally dating ca. 1000-1450 CE, following the collapse of Middle Horizon empires, including Tiahuanaco and Huari. During this time distinctive regional cultures emerged along the coast and in highland areas, including the Chimú empire. The political entities that developed during the late Intermediate Period were subsequently conquered by the Inca empire.
- Of or belonging to the nation of Peru or its people.
- General term used to refer to many families and species of gastropod that have coiled shells in the adult stage.
- Ancient Aegean vessels with a false spout rising on top to support two stirrup-shaped handles and having a narrow, easily sealed spout further down on the shoulder.
Click an image to view a larger version
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
Mass Production of Art in Pre-Columbian Cultures: Moldmade Peruvian Pottery from the Bryn Mawr College Collection
, 8/31/1998 - 11/24/1998
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/152179 |title=Stirrup-Spout Vessel with a Monkey and Two Snails |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=6/17/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 25 of 130
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "YUBH:YUBI:BGLWX:BGLXB:BGLXF:BGLXR:BGLXX:BGMSZ" and [Object]Display Artist is "Unknown Chimú".