North and Central America, United States
Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
The contrast of light and dark directs the eyes to images of quotidian life in early nineteenth-century New York City. In drawing attention to activities uncommonly highlighted such as hanging the laundry and dressing, Sloan emphasizes the universality of these actions.
Click a term to view the records with the same keyword
- Structures, generally enclosed, that are used or intended to be used for sheltering an activity or occupancy.
- Generally, textile that is woven, felted, knit, pounded, or otherwise made into a flat piece. For textile in the form of continuous strands made from filaments of fiber by reeling, spinning, twisting, or throwing, see "yarn."
- Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- The built forms of towns, cities, or other built-up areas, in combination, as perceived visually and aesthetically. For representations of towns or cities, as in drawings or photographs, use "townscapes (representations)."
- Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
Click an image to view a larger version
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
Illuminating John Sloan
Bryn Mawr College
, 4/30/2015 - 6/1/2015
American Life in American Prints
, 00/00/00 - 00/00/00
Owner Name: Bryn Mawr College
Acquisition Method: Donation
Ownership Start Date: 10/18/84
Owner Name: Richard E. Bishop
Disposal Method: Donated
Ownership End Date: 10/18/84
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
James Tanis, Ph.D.,
La vie americaine dans l'estampe americaine
Bryn Mawr College Library.
Bryn Mawr, PA, 1928
Page Number: 27,
Figure Number: 30
Catalogue Raisonné List
The following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
John Sloan's Prints
(New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1969),
Figure Number: 152
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template: