Skip to Content
Late 19th century
43 in. x 24 in. x 19 in. (109.22 cm x 60.96 cm x 48.26 cm)
Bequest of M. Carey Thomas, President of Bryn Mawr College, 1894-1922
Bryn Mawr College
Furnishings and Furniture; Furniture; Chair
Deanery Collection, M. Carey Thomas Collection
Click a term to view the records with the same keyword
*Show Keyword Descriptions
This object has the following keywords:
- Term applied to a wide variety of chairs with arms, to distinguish them from side chairs which have no arms.
- Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- X-shaped legs based on Roman chair design, used on Federal and other classically inspired furnishings.
- Chairs with horizontal slats across the back.
- The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Click an image to view a larger version
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "YUBH:YUBI:BILYI:BUEKM:BUEKQ:BUEKU:BUJCV:BUVSM" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Furniture" and [Object]Century is "19th century".
View current selection of records as:
TriArte facilitates access to the art and artifact collections of the Tri-College Consortium (Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and Swarthmore Colleges) by providing digitally searchable records for more than 39,000 objects. The information on these pages is not definitive or comprehensive. We are regularly adding artworks and updating research online. We welcome your comments.